The Tequila Sunset is a citrusy cocktail that looks like a tropical sunset with hues of pink and red. It’s the perfect summer sipper on a hot and humid day. If you’re looking for an easy cocktail to make at home, this is it.
This post may contain affiliate links. Please view my disclosure page for more information.
Why you’ll love this cocktail
- There are only three ingredients.
- It’s the perfect balance of tartness with a slightly sweet.
- It makes a beautiful presentation.
- It’s a little-known cocktail that your guests probably have never had before.
Tequila Sunset vs Sunrise
So you might be wondering what the difference between a Tequila Sunset and a Tequila Sunrise is. Both use tequila as the liquor and a splash of grenadine but the juice in a sunset is grapefruit while a sunrise uses orange.
What ingredients do you need to make a Tequila Sunset?
You need just three ingredients for a Tequila Sunset.
- Tequila – Use a Blanco or white tequila.
- Orange Juice – Pick a no-pulp variety.
- Grenadine – A pomegranate syrup.
What is grenadine?
Contrary to popular belief, grenadine is a pomegranate syrup. Many people mistakenly say it’s cherry flavored. Grenadine is non-alcoholic and can safely be used in drinks prepared for children, such as a Shirley Temple.
How do you make a Tequila Sunset drink?
While grapefruit juice is the citrus of choice in a Tequila Sunset recipe, some people prefer to use a combination of orange and pineapple juices.
While I did try both combinations, the grapefruit juice alone suited the cocktail better. The orange and pineapple combination was overly sweet.
In a cocktail shaker filled with ice, combine the tequila and grapefruit juice. Strain the mixture into a rocks glass filled with ice and pour in the grenadine syrup. It’s heavier than the juice and will sink to the bottom.
How do you serve this cocktail?
This tequila sunset recipe makes two servings. Use a rocks glass, garnished with a small grapefruit wedge.
What can I serve with tequila drinks?
Want more tequila cocktails?
Did you make this recipe? If so, please leave a 5-star review near the comment section below.
- Cocktail Shaker
- 2 ounces silver tequila
- 1 cup fresh grapefruit juice
- 1 -2 teaspoons grenadine
- Grapefruit wedge, for garnish
- In a cocktail shaker filled with ice combine the tequila and grapefruit juice. Shake well until the mixture is chilled.
- Fill two rocks glasses with ice. Strain mixture evenly into each glass.
- Start by adding 1 teaspoon of grenadine to each glass. If the red isn't vibrant enough, add 1 more teaspoon. Add a wedge of grapefruit as garnish on the rim of the glass.